Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Def Classic??

I'm currently watching this series on VH1 called "Classic Albums". Tonight, they are covering Def Leppard's "Hysteria", their commercially-acclaimed 1987 release. Now, this album has been thrown in the same bag of "classic albums" as Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland". I very much remember when "Hysteria" came out, my senior year in high school. I also remember how the other "classic" albums in that series greatly influenced me and made a huge, indelible impression on me. I'm really trying hard here, but no matter how much I think about it, I simply cannot understand how "Hysteria" can be put in the same category as those other albums. It's not a simple matter of personal taste; I just don't see how "Hysteria" can implicitly be compared to the rest of that group, and it really bugs me! Granted, other than a few, mostly US-based bands (REM and Sonic Youth being a couple of major ones), no one was coming out with anything particularly interesting in 1987, but still! I'll concede that maybe "Hysteria", in that context, can be argued to be a decent pop-rock album, but a CLASSIC of the stature of "Dark Side" or "Yellow Brick Road"?? I don't think so. Go ahead, and pour some sugar on me...

No comments: