Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mid-summer Mini-rant

I'm not sure what is up with the country politically. In my cynical moments I assume that most people don't really pay attention to politics, as long as there is an American Idol to vote for, the supermarket is filled with several varieties of Hot Pockets and there's a McDonald's at all times within a five-mile radius. If something were to occur that would interrupt THAT situation, THEN we might get some political change.

But for the most part, the number of Americans who care enough to get outraged at our incompetent, criminal administration is currently too small to have any real impact. I can't really blame people who choose to spend time with their families or their careers instead of on politics -- rationally speaking, at this point they have a better chance to improve their lot by acting privately than publicly. It's a tragedy, to be sure, but I think it will take a Great Depression-sized shock to effect a real political realignment that would make the Democrats into something more than the confused "me too!" party they are now.

I was cheered by the Supreme Court's recent rebuke to Bush's Guantanamo policy. But it's scary that the best news from our three branches of government in the last six years has to come from the Supreme Court.

No comments: